Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Righteousness

To me, the objective aspect of my justification that has the most subjective meaning to me in my walk is that of the righteousness of Christ imparted to me by the Father. It is very freeing, yet humbling, to realize that God has cleansed me from all my sin and given me His own righteousness, especially when I contemplate the depth of my sinfulness before I came to know Christ. Although I still have the capacity to walk after my flesh, it is awesome to know that he counts me as righteous in Christ regardless of my sometimes sinful behavior. Not that He condones those actions, but that He has given me a new identity as a saint – a holy, righteous child of God. Praise the Lord that He has done this amazing work in my life!

I have become more and more aware in recent years of the importance of understanding our righteousness in Christ as not merely an external declaration, but an internal reality. This has come about as I have learned more of our union with Christ and how His righteousness was actually given to us. I found the following excerpt from Erickson to be most helpful:

For Christ and the believer do not stand at arm’s length from one another so that when God looks squarely at the believer he cannot also see Christ with His righteousness but only pretends to. Rather, Christ and the believer have been brought into such a unity that Christ’s spiritual assets, as it were, and the spiritual liabilities and assets of the believer are merged. Thus, when looking at the believer God the Father does not see him or her alone. He sees the believer together with Christ, and in the act of justification justifies both of them together. It is as if God says, “They are righteous!” He declares what is actually true of the believer, which has come to pass through God’s constituting the believer one with Christ.[1]

This has startling implications for us as believers. Often, we are taught by well-meaning teachers that God just ‘sees’ us in Christ, as if through a screen – but take away the screen, and we are just the same old filthy sinners we have always been. However, we can see from the Erickson excerpt that this simply is not true – we are righteous because of our justification and our union with Christ. Further, this is corroborated by the witness of Scripture itself. 2 Corinthians 5:21 states that we have actually become the righteousness of God in Christ, and 1 Corinthians 1:30 makes a similar statement. Also consider Romans 5:19 – “For as through the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.” (NASB, emphasis mine) This definitely implies something more than a mere external declaration. We are, in fact, righteous through the joining together of Christ’s Spirit with our human spirits – it is part of our new identity as children of God.

So, how does all of this affect my daily walk with God? Proverbs 23:7 is a key passage here: “For as he thinks within himself, so he is.” (NASB) If I, as a believer, continue to think of myself as a dirty, rotten sinner despite of my cleansing from sin and union with Christ, then sin is certainly what will be produced in my life. However, if I set my mind on what is true in the Spirit (Rom. 8:5-8) – that I am a partaker of the righteousness of Christ – then righteousness is what will naturally be produced in my behavior. As I renew my thinking with what is true about me in Christ, then I will find that I abide in Him on a more continual basis and will be better equipped to ward off the accusations of the enemy.
______________________________________________

[1] Erickson, Millard J., Christian Theology (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 1998), 971-972.

4 comments:

Terry Rayburn said...

Hello Brother,

You've written some good stuff. May I encourage you to continue writing.

I see you've learned of the tri-partate make-up of man: body, soul, and spirit. This is good.

Our spirit is that which has been made new, and made one with Christ, as you say.

This is the biblical solution to the old theological question pitting the Justification of Protestantism with the Justification of Catholicism. The Catholics have argued that man is actually made righteous ("infused" with righteousness). The Protestants have argued that man is not *made* righteous, merely *declared* righteous.

We are, of course, *declared* righteous in our entire being (the basic meaning of Justification), but we are also *made* righteous in our regenerated spirits.

So both the traditional Catholic approach, and the Protestant approach miss the point of 2 Cor. 5:17 re the New Creation. The truth of the New Creation (dealing with our spirit) explains 1) why we now hate sin and love Jesus; and 2) why we still sin, when we are deceived by the world, the flesh and the devil, and walk by the flesh.

These wonderful truths, combined with the simple messages of moment-by-moment communion with Christ, and Surrender to Him, truly revolutionize the Christian life.

Again, I encourage you to keep writing.

laboring_to_rest said...

Terry,

Thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to read my blog. I've enjoyed reading your blog and listening to your show from time to time on Grace Walk Radio... Father has truly blessed you with some great insights. Funny you mentioned the tri-partate makeup of man... my next post will be about that very subject.

Blessings in Christ,

Kenny

jul said...

Great post! Wonderful wonderful truth...

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!