Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Iron sharpening

My walk with God has been greatly enhanced over the last few years as I have learned more and more about the truths of the exchanged life. I'm sure that I've only begun to scratch the surface in understanding the depths of God's grace and His love towards us. I praise God for authors such as Watchman Nee, Steve McVey, Bob George, David Needham, Bill Gillham, Charles Solomon, and others who have written of their struggles to walk with God in their early years as believers - only to realize that God, in this marvelous New Covenant economy, desires for us to live a life of rest as we trust Him by faith to do His work in and through us. The books that these men of God have produced have been a great source of encouragement to me. They have challenged me to dig deeper into the Scriptures and discover these amazing truths for myself, and as I have done so, I have found God to be faithful in leading me to a greater dependence on Christ as my life source.

When I began to share the New Covenant message with other believers, I usually found that it was received with astonishment, although that took various forms. Either they were so 'astonished' that they became overwhelmed with joy and wonder at our great God, or they were 'astonished' that I would buy into such a 'heretical' teaching! I was initially shocked at how polarizing the grace message could be... and of course, in fleshly arrogance and pride, I often found myself thinking, "They just don't get it!" There were some, to be sure, who flatly rejected the message; however, upon delving deeper with some others who were more open-minded, I found that they did indeed have some legitimate theological concerns. I have learned much (and grown a bit more humble!) in discussing these issues with them over the years, and it has proved to be an excellent iron-sharpening experience for all of us.

Through these experiences, I have become increasingly more aware of the need for those of us in the Exchanged Life movement to make sure that we are theologically honest and that we are able to clearly communicate what we believe. There is indeed a great deal of misconception out there as to what we actually teach, and I can't help but think that a great deal of this confusion is unnecessary. If what we believe is indeed true, then it will certainly stand up to scrutiny under the lens of Scripture. I have found no reason thus far to reject these teachings, but I always want to be sure that I am first and foremost committed to the inerrancy and authority of the Scriptures, not to a particular man-made creed or system of theology. Eventually, these all fall short to some degree.

With that in mind, I invite you to check out the link below. It is a critique of Exchanged Life theology, co-authored by a professor and PhD student from Dallas Theological Seminary. I will say from the outset that I do not agree with all of their conclusions and feel that there are other aspects of Exchanged Life theology that should be examined in detail before any firm conclusions should be drawn (perhaps I will elaborate in a later entry). However, I do appreciate the pastoral concern and fairness with which the critique was presented, and recognize that they do indeed bring up some legitimate concerns.

http://www.robertpyne.com/pyne/PyneBlackmon%20Exchanged.pdf

I look forward to some feedback regarding this article. Blessings to you all...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, it is a dangerous mistake to equate theology with Scripture. Theology is man's interpretation of Scripture while "no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God" (2 Pet. 1:20-21).

Interestingly enough, the Lord Jesus will recompense us, not for what our theological perspective was, but for what we have done (2 Cor. 5:10 and Rev. 22:12). With that in mind it is not important that we spend our earthly time splitting our theological hairs correctly but that we are doing what Jesus is doing. The living Jesus has a life of His own (with His own desires and will) and when He is our life then those desires and that will are our desires and will and we live consistent with Him, deriving our life from Him.

The question is not, "What is theologically correct?" but "What is the Lord Jesus actually doing in the moment I'm living in?" The proof of the pudding is in the eating. What effectively gives expression to Christ is what is important. When Christ as my life makes me concerned about the souls of others, concerned enough to leave my house to go out after them, laying my soul down for them (Isaiah 53:12) this is the heart of the Savior being expressed through an earthen vessel. A life consistent with a Savior's desires is evidence of an indwelling Savior.

"For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, so that they who live should no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf" (2 Cor. 5:14-15).

Paul's admonition to Timothy about "studying" to show himself approved is set in the context of wrangling about words, a pastime that wastes time: "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth" (2 Tim. 2:15). A "workman" is one who works and handling the word of truth accurately doesn't mean debating it but bringing it to others for their sake. "Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Tim. 2:21).

Norman Grubb and C. T. Studd were two such vessels for honor. When placed against the backdrop of their lives their words take on additional meaning. What they and others accomplished through the Worldwide Evangelization Crusade is a living example of what Christ can continue to accomplish through very human vessels.

Grubb's autobiography, Once Caught, No Escape and his last major book, Yes, I Am, are both well worth reading.

One final note. References by the authors of the "Exchanged Life" critique to the apostle John's first letter are conspicuous by their absence. 1 John 3:7-8 is so clear and simple in its definition as to be almost childlike: "Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil." How does He accomplish this? By placing His seed in us. "No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God" (1 John 3:9-10). Previously he had made the very clear-cut statement, "No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him" (1 John 3:6).

This reference to abiding in Him sounds beautifully familiar to those who have read John's Gospel. In John 15 he records the Lord Jesus as saying: "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser . . . I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing" (vs. 1, 5).

As branches of His vine we will exhibit His fruit in abundance. As partakers of divine nature (another way of saying His seed abides in us) we express His righteousness. In union with Him we "show forth the excellencies of him who called [us] out of darkness into his marvellous light" (1 Pet. 2:9, American Standard Version).

Hallelujah!

Anonymous said...

Not sure we've met. Check our website at www.walkit.org
I'm friends with Frank Friedmann in Baton Rouge. If you don't know him at Grace Life Church, you need to meet him.
Check out our resource, "Saturate", a meditation CD on our identity in Christ.